Saturday, 29 December 2018

Knitting and Sewing Review of 2018

Well, it's that time of the year again.

Looking back at my knitting plans for this year I have actually achieved quite a bit of what I hoped to do.  The first two knitting projects (Love Potion cardi and the spotty 30s top), are done.

The third (navy Arroyo peplum cardi) is still waiting in the wings.  Project no 4 (ultramarine cardi) got knitted.  Project no 5 - 50% successs rate - I used the yarn (for a different project), but the design idea is still on the to-do list.

No 6 (Judy in Disguise) - yes, done.  No 7 (vintage v-striped top), carried forward.  No 8 (green Wollmeise lace vintage cardi) - yes, knitted.

So 5.5 yes vs 2.5 no - a resounding success in my book - possibly my best since I started writing these planning posts - I don't think I've gone beyond 50% achieved before now.  I do wonder though whether this year's achievements are partly down to setting the bar at a more realistic level than I have done previously.

There are also still quite a few items outstanding from previous years.

From autumn 2014 (and therefore also into 2015) - Purl Alpaca dress and Grasshopper cardi.  From 2016 - of the two Excelana cardis I planned I knitted up one this year here, although I didn't use the pattern I'd originally intended, and I destashed the wool for the second, so that's never gonna happen now.

The rust cotton DK cardi is also still pending - possibly because if it's warm enough for a cardi I want it to be wool, if I only want a light layer in the summer then DK is too thick.  So... not sure what will happen with this yarn/pattern combo.  The Grasshopper cardi appears here too... must get round to knitting it!

I also destashed the wool I planned to use for the Wallis cardigan, so that pattern is in hibernation at the moment - I still like and hope to knit it, I just don't know what with now... or when.

From 2017 -  two Kate Davies Buachaille patterns are still outstanding, the Purl Alpaca dress popped up here again as well.

In addition to the planned projects I knitted a cardigan for my granddaughter which I haven't blogged about - it's a Drops pattern (this one) which I modified because I wasn't going to knit squirrels.  I finished it back in February and surprisingly it still fits, although I think the sleeves are getting a bit short now.



Back view

I also knitted two cardigans and a top from vintage patterns,

two cardigans which I designed myself

and two shawls.

I've just done a quick totting up - yarn bought this year  - 27,285 metres, (eek...) yarn destashed 21,070 metres, yarn knitted 12,777 metres, so I've ended the year with about 6.5 kilometres less yarn than I started with - hooray!

The sewing hasn't been quite so much as planned, although I have made quite a few dresses from fabrics that I've had in my stash for a while (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. 11, 12), which I'm pleased about.
Here are the non-maxi ones

I finished the denim skirt (and made another one),

I didn't do anything with the Dreyfuss dress, or the Vogue irises dress.  Shirtdresses and 40s dresses are also a big fat fail.  Regency dress - I've cut out a muslin (actually using muslin which was a pain to cut out because it's loosely woven and was therefore rather slippy) but can't remember which pattern I used now, and also I think I changed the bodice slightly, although I can't remember how...  this will end up being a nightie, because I'm not leaving the house in a white see-through dress.

The two skirts and two Coco tops are still unmade (although I did ask a work colleague who has used the Coco pattern if she had any tips / advice, and had intended to get at least one made before Christmas, but ran out of time).

Maxi dress yes (no 8, above), and another one for the Outfit Along challenge

Seaside print dress no, which was daft really, because we had such a glorious summer this year... dress for granddaughter, no, vintage dress yes (no 12, above), Colette Rae, Marilla Walker Isca, coral stretch all no.  However, the last entry, although I haven't used those patterns or sewed that fabric yet - yes, quite a few!  Two dresses were from fabric which I bought this year, but the rest were stashbusters.  I have a few as yet unsewn other fabrics I've bought this year, but if I include what I took for the swap table at this year's sewbrum this year there has definitely been more fabric out than in, which pleases me.

All in all, a very satisfying year on the creative front.  Roll on 2019 for more of the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment