Wednesday, 5 December 2018

Judy in Disguise cardigan

I'd been wanting to knit an interpretation of Laura Chau's Lucy in the Sky pattern for quite some time (aka years) however, it's written for aran wool, which is thicker than I prefer to knit with.  (I've just checked, only 10% of my 80 most recent projects have been with aran, the rest have all been with thinner wool.)  So the plan had been waiting patiently in the wings until I found sufficient impetus to get on with working out the sums for a 4-ply version.

And this is it. The name is from a 1967 song Judy in Disguise (with glasses) which is a mondegreen of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by The Beatles, and the stitch pattern is called Diamond Brocade and is from Barbara Walker’s First Treasury book.

I bought the buttons at Edinburgh Yarn Festival a couple of years ago with no thought of what I would do with them - I just liked them.  Fortuitously they are a great match for all the colours in this dress!


The wool I used (Fyberspates Vivacious 4-ply in Copper Tones colourway) turned my fingers grey as I knitted with it, and the cardigan felt a bit ‘greasy’ as I was knitting.  I put it in the washing machine on a wool wash with a couple of colour catcher sheets once it was finished, and it’s been fine ever since - no greasy feel, and no dye transfer - result!

No comments:

Post a Comment