He arrived, I was totally smitten and knitted him some clothes. A few months passed. New Year came and went and I decided I should really get on and knit this lion, so in mid-January I started. It is all knitted flat and then seamed - I couldn't see any way of knitting it in the round other than by using dpns, which I hate, and I don't actually mind sewing up seams so I followed the pattern
Then came the joy of sewing it all together (so many ends for such a small thing) and filling it with stuffing. It surprised me how much stuffing I could squish into the body - I just kept adding more... and more... and more.... Once it was all sewed together, which was really quite fiddly because it was small, stuffed, pieces (rather than adult- or even baby-sized flat pieces) I needed to make a tail. I didn't really like the tail in the pattern so decided to make one from i-cord and attach a pom-pom. Now I have an i-cord making machine which I bought a few years ago but have never used (I think it's called a knitting mill - it's a mechanical equivalent of a French knitting dolly). It took me quite a while to get the hang of using it and a few false starts, but once I got it working properly it churned out a length of i-cord pretty damn quickly. Zillions of times quicker than I could have knitted it. I also made a pom-pom using a pom-pom maker, which is kind of a glorified plastic version of two circles of card, but definitely quicker than making one by hand with said cardboard circles. A bit of embroidery with black wool for his mouth and eyes and finally, Leo the lion was finished.
And here he is.
|Leo the lion|
|And a side view to show his tail (and his smile)|