Monday, 6 May 2019

Multicoloured dress - me-made May dress no 1

This is the first dress to be finished this month.

I picked up this John Kaldor fabric from the swap table at last year's SewBrum event - I was drawn to it because I love the colours in it.  There were two metres and at 54" wide that was enough for a dress with a flared skirt and pockets - yay!  I'm not sure what the composition of the fabric is, I think it's got some cotton in it, but it didn't behave like 100% cotton, and it doesn't feel polycottonish, so maybe a viscose blend?

The bodice is a modified Simplicity 2444 (lowered the neckline front and back, and brought the shoulders in a bit) and the pleated skirt is from New Look 6824.

I had a bit of an overlocking mishap with this dress; normally I pink all my seams to finish them, but because this fabric frayed a bit I decided to overlock them.  I shouldn't sew when I'm tired because the cutter blade ran into one of the pockets when I was finishing the side seams.  Fortunately not very much by the time I saw what I'd done, but I decided it was best to put it to one side for the rest of the evening and take up my knitting instead.

The following morning I decided rather than try and mend it I'd cut another pocket as I had enough left over fabric.  So that's what I did, and promptly managed to replace the wrong (i.e. the undamaged) one.  Arrgghhh!  End result I replaced both pockets.  The rest of the overlocking went fine.


Now I just need the weather to warm up so that I can wear this - I don't think I'll be wearing it on days that don't need sunglasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment