I bought the fabric for this dress a couple of years ago (from here) after having seen it in my Instagram feed and I like it so much that I used it as the background for my header photo when I gave this blog a bit of a revamp earlier this year! I love its retro vibe and I guess the design was inspired by the Enid Seeney Homemaker tableware design for Ridgway pottery which was originally sold in Woolworths - the teapots fetch silly prices on ebay. I wonder which of today's teapots will fetch silly prices in 50 years' time?
Anyway, on to the dress which I made back in June and which was intended to be for the #OAL2017 challenge run by Lauren and Andi. They have run this outfit-along for the past four years - the first year I just watched from the sidelines, the second year I got my act together, last year I didn't, and this year I did - although once again I didn't use either the knitting or sewing patterns which were suggested.
For the dress I used Simplicity 4984, a vintage pattern from the early 1960s, and I made view 2.
It came together pretty quickly and easily - I moved the zip from the side to the back and I also lined the bodice.
I say this dress was intended to be the sewn contribution to my outfit, however... when I started knitting the cardigan (which I have yet to blog about) the wool bled colour onto my hands as I knitted - not much, but enough for me to think that I didn't want to risk wearing it with a white dress. So I made another dress, which will be for another blog post.
![]() |
| With petticoat |
I'm really pleased with this dress and will probably wear it into the winter too. It's mid-calf length, which is longer than most of the dresses I've made, and I think with a petticoat underneath as an extra layer and boots it'll look just fine.



No comments:
Post a Comment