This is another dress which I cut out in August last year and have only recently got around to finishing, although I actually sewed most of this up before I abandoned it, so it only needed the back seam finishing, hemming and the sleeves setting in.
The pattern is Simplicity 3184 from1959, and because I did most of the sewing last year I'm not counting it towards my vintage pledge.
I really wasn't sure whether I'd want to put the sleeves in, but decided to cut them out anyway since I could always remove them if I ended up not liking them. Fortunately I do like them, so no need to unpick and refinish the armholes! I seem to remember it took me a while to cut this out, because I wanted the polka dots to line up, so there was a fair bit of moving pattern pieces around on the fabric.
It didn't take me long to finish this and I'm really pleased with how it fits, I'll probably make another one, although possibly without the sleeves, just to have a slightly different version. Also, I didn't put the bows on the back and I cut the skirt 6" shorter. I don't remember now why it got put to one side for so long - it may simply have been that I felt a need to do more knitting and less sewing - but I'm glad that it's done now as this was the last of the dresses that I cut out intending to sew them up on August bank holiday weekend last year - ever the optimist! (The others were the Carmen Miranda dress, the turquoise Ditto roses dress [and I still have another two dress lengths of this rose print fabric to make up, I love it], the Scandinavian birds dress, and the orange floral maxi dress.)
I bought the fabric in Fabricland and I used all two metres of it. So, another spotty dress to add to my collection of spotty dresses! It's also a really good match for my purple hearts cardigan, (or the cardigan is a good match for the dress, depending on your point of view), so that's good. Now I'm off to my knitting group which I have sadly neglected for the past couple of months.

Perfectly lined up spots, so worth the effort. It's odd why we abandon things. I have a dress I intended to wear on my birthday three weeks ago it finished bar the hem, but its almost like I want to punish it for not being ready in time as I still have not finished it. Lovely dress, enjoy wearing it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, and I hope you get your dress finished soon!
Delete